Sunday, April 7, 2013

In Which A Nomad Brings the Party Around the Quad.

Saturday 6 April

So these late posts are probably going to be a thing on Fridays and Saturdays because I have a strange tendency not to sleep when I most need it on these days.

Yeah. So I woke up at eight AM yesterday and decided THAT wasn't going to happen, so I slept till noon instead. Woo! After that I woke up and took a shower to cleanse my soul or whatever. I watched the parade of students roaming around Kitt for Admitted Students Day, and I gave directions to four people that were lost. What's up.

I ended up walking to Pearl Street to deposit some checks at the bank, and that was really nice. It was a lovely day and I had a great time just walking with a purpose. I did a great walking meditation and arrived at the bank refreshed and ready to take on the bloom of the present moment.

After that I realized I was so hungry I could probably eat a cow, and I'm a vegetarian so that's a big deal. So I went to C4C with Crissie and THEIR PIZZA WAS FREAKING BURNT AND I WAS DISTRAUGHT. But anyway then we went and hung out in Kitt for once and I painted my nails and we drank tea and talked with my roommate about what to wear to her dinners haha. After that, we went to Noodles and Company and I greatly overestimated how hungry I was since I only ate about 5/6 of my mac and cheese. :(

But whatever. We ended up back in Hallett and then Willow gave us all glitter tattoos and that was totally awesome! Then Dan tried to teach me how to dance and I failed miserably, even as the night wore on. Yup. I'm not sure why. I don't know if it's just me being too socially conscious, or if I actually genuinely cannot dance. I don't know why—I was a dancer for sixteen years and stopped only last year. I don't know why I can't do this. It's a very perplexing problem.

Then I played DJ with music ADHD and serenaded Crissie and Johnny with classics like "You Make My Dreams Come True," "Satisfaction," "Shots," "Move Bitch," "American Pie," "I'm on a Boat," "Like a Boss," and "Don't Stop Believing." It was awesome.

I've also been obligated to correct my earlier statement about being a canoe. This is the conversation that happened one night between the three of us:
Crissie: How's it going?
Me: Oh, you know. Just being a canoe as usual.
Crissie: Maggie, you're so much more than a canoe. You are always going to be the Lewis to my Clark. Nothing's going to change that.
Me: Aww, thanks.
Johnny: So wait, what does that make me?
Me: *after some thought*...SACAGAWEA!

So I'm not a canoe. I'm Meriwether Motherf*cking* Lewis, secretary to Thomas Freaking** Jefferson.

Then I wanted to go adventuring, and since Crissie and Johnny looked tired, I texted Graham. None of the Brackett kids wanted to do anything since none of my friends like to leave their dorms, however. So, naturally, the nomad brought the party to them.

So I ended up in Brackett on Graham's floor with Sierra, Graham, Christine, Brendan, Andy, and Flock, and we talked about skiing and camping adventures** and carbon chains** and chemistry. Then there was a redistribution of the cast when Evan came in with Connor and Anthony and Christine and Sierra went to bed. Then we talked about Denny's, physics, Friday nights, how sleep is for the weak, and how to make sports better (hint: soccer involves land mines and baseball involves flames). Naturally, the talk turned to phallic references as it so often does around me***. And it was quite frankly the most ribald discourse I've ever heard and will never be repeated to anyone. So yeah. Then Evan decided to play Halo and we ended up watching him for some reason.

At 2:47 AM, I left, got my bike from Duane, rode home, and passed out at 3:12.

So it was another day of busy nothings filled with discourses with the best people I know. I continually question why the hell people continue to hang out with me, but I'm so glad they do. In high school, I feel like I didn't have much of a social life, if any. And then, in college, you're consistently around people and action and reactions and life starts to happen, without you even realizing it. It's a cosmic sh*tstorm, but I'm glad for these small moments that give you something real to hold onto.

I have so much homework I'm going to actually die, so I'm going to get on that.

Thanks for reading :)

*not his actual middle name
**euphemism. You'll know if you need to.
***a very alarming phenomenon which is largely unexplained and yet, it happens every time. It's likely because I am, exact quote, "the most consistent bro."

No comments:

Post a Comment