Saturday, April 6, 2013

Here I Am, Stuck in the Middle With You :)

Friday 5 April

Sorry this one is late...last night was fun, but my laptop died due to too many papers being written and when I got home I just wanted to go to sleep. Welcome to life.

Anyway it was extraordinarily difficult to wake up yesterday. However, I decided to wear a sundress and I felt like a badass. But then I realized it's INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to ride a bike in a skirt as I sprinted to physics...so that was fun.

Physics was physics. So yeah. Then I had my politics recitation and that was interesting. We talked about Benjamin Constant's discourse on modern versus ancient liberty, which if you like theory and politics, is actually a really great piece. I recommend it. We did more kinetics in chemistry and that was interesting. I like kinetics. It's either that or electrochemistry that I want to focus on. So yay.

Then I had lunch with Steph and Sam and ate a perfect Farrand pizza. I have my priorities straight.

After that I wrote, in its entirety, my paper on how Locke's distinction between liberty and license was applied by Madison to constitutional design (hint: it has to do with faction, the Constitution as fundamental law, and separation of powers). I got to use my absolute favorite political paper of all time, Federalist 51, and it was pretty great for pulling it out of my ass (read: I might fail.). I finished it at 4:26. It was due at 5. Winning.

Then I walked back to Hallett with Crissie and we took a nap because we haven't slept for days. Then we grabbed dinner, which was weird because no one was there. Afterwards, we reposed on the futon and I complained about how I wanted to do something, but no one had any plans.

Then things fell into place as they tend to do and PLANS HAPPENED YEAH! Dan came in and then Johnny and Nole followed and then Graham and Andy made it over to Hallett too, and we spent the night in discourse on many things.

And it was really fun. We reminisced on high school adventures and we made some terrible jokes and we talked about politics and we talked about Boston and cities and adventures and good times and life. It was great. People started to trickle off to bed and I ended up walking back to Smith at 2:05 AM. I spent seventeen hours away.

But honestly? It was the best time I've had in a long time. We laughed a lot about how stupid we used to be and how stupid we are now and how, after all this time, we still don't know what's going on. But that's okay. We're all this giant collection of distinct stories and experiences, and the sum of them are the human experience. It's honestly amazing how much our lives intersect with other people and how we can, through everything, stay friends and share these experiences. This is part of why I like history--we resurrect the past continually and it is profound how much wonder and gratitude we still hold for our past experiences. It's fascinating. And I know I say this a lot, but I can't feel anything but gratitude for every stupid moment of my stupid little life. Sometimes I'm lost, and I don't know what the hell is going on, but it's all a happy middle. Someday I will look back on these experiences and laugh about them just as I've laughed about everything else, and they will still contribute to the rest of the human experience. Someday they will be stories, but now they are the only things I have to hold onto. And I am okay with that.

I would also like to thank, once again, everyone for putting up with me. I'm glad you think my nerd references are funny and that you let me talk about politics and that we can still be together to live boldly and experience this sh*tstorm we call life. Thank you for that.

So today I'm off to more adventures. Here's to many more.

Thanks for reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment