Monday, April 13, 2015

A Few Things Are Still Pretty Okay

Friday 10 April

Don't stop me nooow! I'm having such a good time, I'm having a ball!

I woke up on Friday and was super ready to take on the day in this fashion:

I Can Take on the Day!
And then after learning about rigid rotors and temperature dependence on populated states in a molecular orbital, I started to get really dehydrated and felt super queasy and basically learned that I am neither a successful adult, nor can I drink five different kinds of hard liquor and feel totally fine the next day like I used to. So, the day devolved into this:

A Novel By Me
Anyway. We had a quiz on ocean sediments in Water and Soil Chemistry, and then we got to watch Bill Nye in a science class. I shit you not. It was like being nine again, except a little bit hungover and with a lot more self-loathing. College is fun, who knew? We talked about hydrothermal vents and it was super cool! We live in such a wonderful world where organisms don't need light but can instead use sulfur to produce energy! Hooray!

Anyway. Hid in the library eating Bugles, and no, I totally did not put them on my fingers and pretend I was a witch while I finished my reading about African nationalism. Because I'm an adult, goddammit.

Europe and the International System was pretty brutal, because we had a quiz on the reading that I most definitively skimmed and did not understand, so that was pretty fun to fail and literally squirm under my teacher's judgmental gaze. Sorry, Dr. Jupille, just because I like trade doesn't mean I actually understand it. I like space, does that mean I understand what the fuck Evan talks about with regard to orbits? No! There is a line and I toe it! (Mostly, I was pretty stressed tbh. Conferences are hard).

I walked home and took a nap because I deserved it, and then Mason came up and I rambled about trade to him and got some constructive criticism regarding my presentation for the SUEP conference. That was fun, thank you Mason!

Then I went to dinner with Evan, where I gorged myself on fries and onion rings and a grilled cheese at Snarfburger, which was exactly what I needed (apparently the burgers are good, too) and THEN he bought me Dairy Queen. So yeah. I finally have a human to buy me food and who likes me even though I frequently talk about murder and care only about Lannisters. I am living the fucking dream, you guys. Date your best friend. I highly recommend it.

Anyway, then he did me the favor of listening to me talk about the characteristics of states in trading dispute settlement mechanisms and gave me really good feedback. Then I drank a beer, and we headed out to a party that Bongi had whose attendees were both chemical engineers and football players. It was in an apartment that didn't have the sale Ikea items (like, they had the tables that were more than $10) OR a discount keg (I didn't have to drink Rolling Rock, you guys), and it was fucking fancy. What even is my life anymore. I met a girl on the rugby team who was also a bitter feminist and a chemical engineer that also prefers staying in and eating cheese while watching Netflix to going to the bars, and we bonded over how much we hate people. It was grand.

Anyway. Walked home early with the boy, talked about politics and Easter and future plans and how efficient that guy is who lives under the 28th Street Bridge by UV. Then we got some pretty solid sleep. It was damn nice, tbh.

That's what Fridays are, honestly. A lot of interacting with different groups, taking a break from everything I need to do, and drinking craft beer. Maybe it's not totally responsible to disengage from the world for a few hours, but I need that. I've realized that much in these last three years. I struggled with that need for a long time, mostly because I was defined by my focus and my drive all through high school, but I need that emotional and social element. I need to be reminded that what I'm doing isn't just for abstractions, and I need to be reminded that even though a lot of things are really fucking terrible in this world, a few things are still pretty okay. Despite all the horrors of capitalism and systemic poverty and dysfunction in politics, there are still a few pockets where the indomitable human spirit thrives. Maybe it's in the form of white girls dancing at a party or people playing beer pong or just having a nice talk with your best friend while you walk home a little bit drunk on life and love, but that's okay. I need that.

Tune in for the weekend, where I talk about my stupid conference and my damn paper and also THRONES!!!!!!

Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment